Daikin has chosen Bivocom LTE-M/NB-IoT Router TR321-M for its smart HVAC system, to replace its existing 3G legacy router and 4G LTE Router. Dakin is a leading innovator and provider of advanced, high-quality air conditioning solutions for residential, commercial, and industrial buildings worldwide, Before we explore the reason why Daikin integrates TR321-M to their smart HVAC system, to improve the building performance and lower operation costs, let’s have a quick overview of Daikin’s smart HVAC system.
What is HVAC?
HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning, and refers to the different systems used for moving air between indoor and outdoor areas, along with heating and cooling for residential, commercial and industrial buildings. They are used to keep people warm and cool in winter and summer, and keep people healthy by filtering and cleaning the indoor. Besides, they are also used for maintain the ambient temperature and humidity for things in commercial and industrial buildings, such as server room, factories, biological medicine manufacturing and storage, to keep the things at a certain level of temperature and humidity.
Figure 1. All-air HVAC system for single zone.
Although there are so many applications of HVAC, today, we’re going to talk about smart HVAC in commercial building. Let’s have an overview of what is smart HVAC and what benefits we can get from it?
Why Smart HVAC?
A smart HVAC system leverages networked HVAC components, sensors and other technologies, such as IoT(Internet of Things), big data, cloud, artificial intelligence, etc., it’s the natural evolution of a building automation system (BAS).
Image source: Daikin
Why we need smart HVAC?
As you may know, HVAC system consumes about 40% of energy of whole commercial building, while after that, it’s lighting. So how to find a solution that will help the building owner save energy consumption, lower operation costs has become a challenge. While using smart HVAC, as there is an IoT router or gateway like Bivocom TR321-M connect to controllers or sensors of HVAC systems, to transfer the data to remote cloud server. In this way, building manager will easily know the status of HVAC and remotely control it on and off. Besides, the IoT enabled HVAC systems also provides predictive maintenance benefits, where maintenance crew will the potential operation issue of whole system before its badly breakdown, as well as remote troubleshooting and maintenance.
Benefits of Smart HVAC
- Self-monitor operation conditions, potential malfunction can be detected and warned
- Lower energy consumption, Proactive energy saving management
- Predictive data analysis, proactively identifies maintenance
- Save labor hour and maintenance cost
- Cut carbon emissions
- Improve building performance and efficiency
Why Daikin Chooses Bivocom LTE-M/NB-IoT Router TR321-M?
Daikin is the leader to provide the smart HVAC systems to global customers, so there are many legacy 3G routers and 4G routers installed in their systems. But as the phase out of 3G routers, price of other brands’ 4G router and data plan are high, while their data bandwidth requirement is not that big, so they are looking for a new and cost-effective solution to replace legacy 3G router and 4G router.
There are benefits of TR321-M for Daikin’s smart HVAC.
- LTE CAT M1 and NB-IoT technology, provides better coverage and lower energy consumption
- Openwrt based Linux OS, provides C/C++/Python programming environment for IoT developers, where they can install their own applications on Bivocom IoT routers
- Instead of using 4G router, LTE-M/NB-IoT router TR321-M is a more cost-effective solution, as both its hardware and data plan is cheaper than 4G.
- TR321-M is able to operate between -35~+75。C, it supports automatic reboot, or reboot via SMS or commands to ensure the robust and stable connectivity.
- Bivocom provides fast, flexible technical support and customized R&D support for IoT developers, helping them to bring their IoT ideas to reality quickly.
- TR321-M supports industrial protocols, such as Modbus RTU/TCP, MQTT, JSON, quickly convert data to the format customer required, helping Daikin save bandwidth of server.